Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Student Science Experiment in Dänemark finds Plants won't grow near Wi-Fi router

Photo: girls from 9b

Ninth-graders in Dänemark design science experiment
to test the effect of cellphone radiation on Water Cress
plants. These surprising results are causing a stir in the
world's Scientific Communities.
I've been researching something which appears to be very very serious going on here in Sweden in both the wilds and Urban City gardens. I first noticed it when I first got home back from the United States, because all around my neighbourhood, these various different species of conifers are all dying at once and there seems to be no one species which is immune to this blight which I would call, "Fire Blight on Steroids". Every single kind of Cypress, Junipers, Cedars, and even some of the native Scots Pine are showing some effects. I tried to do a bit of Googling to find anyone else noticing this, but nothing yet. Although, many citizens here in Göteborg are talking about it. During the Google search, I stumbled across this story out of Dänemark which appeared around the middle of May 2013. Such a simple experiment and revealing given modern Mankind's addiction to everything electronic. 

What's incredible about this experiment was that it was created based on other observations and questions about an entirely different problem. The girls noticed that if they slept with their Cell or Mobile Phones near their heads at night, they had problems concentrating at school the next day. The school had no specialized equipment and facilities for testing out such an experiment, so it was decided that they would test out Cell Phone radiation on plants instead.


Photo courtesy of Kim Horsevad
These are what are known as KarseFrö (Lepidium sativum) or Garden Cress Seeds. There were six trays of the seeds which were put into a room without the effects of the radiation, and six trays of seeds which another room next to two routers. According to the girls, this way of experimenting emitted about the same type of radiation emitted by Cell Phones. Notice the healthy tray of seeds in the tray above which were grown in the room with no radiation influence from the Router whatsoever.


Photo courtesy of Kim Horsevad
They waited about twelve days, observed, measured, weighed and finally took pictures documenting growth along the way. The results really spoke for themselves. These Cress Seeds above grown inside the room with the Router had not grown and many that did were mutated or dead. 


Photo: Kim Horsevad
From left to right: Lea Nielsen, Mathilde Nielsen, Signe Nielsen, Sisse Coltau, and Rikke Holm. The experiment secured these girls in the finals in the competition of "Young Scientists", but it was only the beginning as other outside interests have been impressed and want to repeat the experiment. Good for them and their teacher.
Researchers from other countries like Nederland (Netherlands), England and Sweden have shown interest. One of them here in Sweden is Olle Johansson, professor at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm. He will now an attempt to repeat this experiment with a Belgian research colleague, Professor Marie-Claire Cammaert at the Université  libre de Bruxelles, for trial. He had this comment about the girls below.
"The girls are within the scope of their knowledge and skills implementing and developing a very elegant job. The wealth of detail and accuracy is exemplary, choosing the right Garden cress is very intelligent, and I could go on."  
"I sincerely hope that they spend their future professional life to researching, because I definitely think they have a natural aptitude for it. Personally, I would love to see these people on my team." 
Olle Johansson 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Article Source from Dänemark

http://www.dr.dk/Nyheder/Indland/2013/05/16/131324.htm


http://www.dr.dk/NR/rdonlyres/075641A4-F4D4-4ECF-834F-C0DAF2B8E1E1/5134851/Undersoegelse_af_nontermiske_effekter_af_mobilstra.pdf

Back to my horrific and frantic search for anything regarding this mysterious sudden death syndrome effecting most all of the evergreens here in southern Sweden. I'll keep looking and I've taken lots of photos. I'll post a gallery of them soon. 

5 comments:

  1. You know, my school is a block away from a cell phone tower. NO WONDER the kids can't sit still or concentrate! They also can't seem to remember simple facts (i.e. short term memory...). I shudder to think now what 10 years of exposure has done to my brain!
    ~~Cheryl Ann~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think this was fascinating. My wife has had trouble concentrating at her job and she does sleep with the phone by her head in case of a call.

      Makes you wonder.

      Delete
    2. I remember reading about teachers at one of the La Quinta schools SUING because so many of them were diagnosed with cancer. Their school was by a cell phone tower...I'll have to look it up and get back to you...

      Delete
  2. Here's a link:
    http://www.geocities.ws/invisible.threat/la_quinta.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, very interesting report. I know in the back country up in Anza, just before I left, some people were cutting deals for giant Cell Towers on their property. One of my neighbours down the road got one and were paying him $1500 a month. But a year later his health changed and he had his property for sale. He wasn't an old guy either.

      Delete

Thanks for visiting and for your comments!

I will try to respond to each comment within a few days, though sometimes I take longer if I'm too busy which appears to be increasing.