Tuesday, April 9, 2013

5:00 am US Farm Report

Haven't seen this early morning show in many years. Nothing's changed.


credit: Agweb
Woke up very very early this morning. Still on my 9 hour European time change internal clock thingy. Flicked on the tube, surfed the channels and stumbled upon something I had not watched on Television for a very long time. The U.S. Farm Report. It's still an hour long, still reporting on the politics of Agricultural Welfare State entitlement programs, and the pimping a lot of Industrial Ag products and services. There was one commercial that did turn my stomach a bit. There was a company that supplies farm and other land management equipment and attachments. Take a look below.

Dr Treechopper
DR TREECHOPPER™Cuts Hundreds of Trees Per Hour!
"Halt the spread of invasive tree species! Introducing an ATV attachment that lets you quickly and easily reclaim range land, create shooting lanes, clear fence lines, and make fire breaks."
The video commercial on the U.S. Farm Report was this one below. To be honest, the way it's present looks more like fun than work. I'm sure all the So-Cal desert offroaders would love this device. I have to admit, I would, well sort of. Just watch that video. No doubt some beer guzzling idiot will come up with the idea that targeting Creosote Bushes in the desert outback could be the latest fab craze in recreational sport of choice. I don't really fault the the manufacturer, they just create and innovate what is needed and very efficiently and less time consuming too I might add. Like many of the modern logging equipment machinery which are admittedly pretty ingenious and efficient, it's mostly the lame attitude and ignorance of the users where the problems lay. For example, the old growth Scots Pine forest near my home in Sweden was leveled to make way for some generic institutional housing development. It took less than two days to completely clear cut all those pines by one of those efficient one man powered machines. Admittedly, very efficient and incredibly ingenious if you think about it.  Take a look at this video below. 



Red Cedar
Invasive in it's own habitat ?
Invasive Tree Species ? You mean like invasive to North America ? Oh no, we mean home grown invasive trees like Red Cedar, Oak, Mesquite, Hazelnut, Ash, Pines Locust, etc. Somebody pinch me, will you ? Is it just me or have I missed something ? I thought Natives were natural to a given area and that plants like Tamarisk, Russian Olive, etc (things that were U.S. Gov Ag approved & brought over a century ago) were the invasive species. Apparently not and the misinformation or definition shell gaming on exactly what is invasive is changing, as was my experience last week when I was told that Torrey Pines were invasive and caused fire. Maybe I've been away too long. Maybe it's New Age Scientific understanding and enlightenment that has given mankind newer and healthier revelations about the world since I have left. I must be old school and a dinosaur of sorts in my way of viewing the natural world. When the world has such a degenerate perverted leadership as it does today, is it any wonder that the average world citizen comes up with such crazy ignoramus viewpoints as a Torrey Pine being a non-native invasive species to it's original historical habitat & that it actually can cause fires ? No wonder Californian Chaparral Institute's founder/director Richard Halsey has nightmares about the challenges of getting his message across. If I were to guess a definition, invasive species could be anything considered in the way of *cough-cough* human progress. When I was a kid in school in the early 1960s, we studied about the genius of Brazilian leadership which was ridding large tracks of land called  worthless swamp (Amazon Rainforest) and building it's new modern capitol called Brasilia. My but how understanding has changed on the value of rainforests. Well, sort of !


Credit: http://www.createbalance.net

Coulter Pine (Pinus coulteri)

My son Jared planted this tree I believe in 1999/2000.   It is up on a high mountain ridge on the side of a  canyon in San Marcos California. It struggled for  two years before I brought down some fungal spores  of the native truffle around Anza CA called Pisolithus tinctorius which increases root absorption  area by 200%. By now it has made some networked  connections with much of the Scrub Oak and Manzanita to the left of the photo for which the watering is  no longer necessary. At least this Coulter Pine is  safe from the ignorance of CC&R obsessed Home  Owner Planned Community residents.
Here is the article link I posted on my other blog, "Earth's Internet" for which the whole invasive fore causing species controversy first developed over last week. 

Massacre on Rattlesnake Mountain

I have a few more positive outcome articles of another location south of Rattlesnake Mountain in the middle of El Cajon which also has many proven teaching points (though I've never mentioned this previously) and invaluable plant establishment techniques to be replicated. Of course such techniques have been around in nature for countless thousands of years anyway. So I really can't take any credit.  This was also done on a raw canvas of a non-native weed infested hillside landscape for which most people never ever truly considers any attempt at reversing. Most activism today is about saving something, but what about reversing things ? Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting, especially your comment that's right-on, "New Age Scientific understanding and enlightenment...". The HOG / BOG in Abqtake this invasive issue to another level, minimizing their importance, and excusing past use of russian olives, tamarisks, siberian elms, etc...lack of capitalization intentional:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, there is no end to ignorance and unfortunately humans and the natural world in general pay for the consequences of uneducated decision making done a century ago.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting and for your comments!

I will try to respond to each comment within a few days, though sometimes I take longer if I'm too busy which appears to be increasing.